Save Tuvalu

SAVING TUVALU:  life on a small island - the best time to visit Tuvalu

      Have you ever been on a kayak when your kayak was capsize for the first time and you feared for your life that you cant get out of the kayak? I felt just like that when I left the small tiny island of Niutao. If I can remember back when I was in my teens, I could simply say that it was the best time of my life, living on a 600 acres land with approximately around 200 residents! Everyone knows each other! And you don't want to cross no one. Because if you do, the whole island would give you a punishment and everyone would "fai kakala." "Fai kakala" is a Samoa term for gossiping. In Tuvalu, the term is "fai tatala," a more common form of the Samoan chiefly language. So the best way is to simply obey the laws of the land and be a good neighbor

     While I moved away from Tuvalu since 2002, I was praised by many and with curiosity of how I could live in such a small place where not many around the world heard of it. As I keep in touch with them for many years, they often asked when would be the best time to visit the islands. This threat is specifically to answer that question! I would love to explain it in all details with many photos of how I missed those beautiful blue ocean surrounded by swirling coconut palms leaves on the sea shores.  But with time and limited photos, I will put a few on this blog. 

This blog I've created it with couple of college friends in 2010 to promote awareness to others that in small tiny atolls of the Pacific, places such as Tuvalu, there lies hundred of small coral islands like Niutao Island. A place of refuge for my sweet parents, a place for my friends to longing for our forefathers, Kauvaeseia and Kauvaepapa. A sacred place where many whom I known have prayed for rescue from the roaring seas and strong winds of the Pacific Ocean. It is a special place where I came into this world. Sadly sooner it may be carried away by high tides and enormous swell and waves of El Nino.  






      So, when it is a great time to visit Tuvalu? Around December to January are the best time of the year to visit the Tuvalu Islands. There are many reasons why this time of the year is special just like in the places around the world, December and January are the month to celebrate Christmas and New Year's. Therefore, many cultural activities, employer's social events, community and family gatherings. In these gatherings you would see the traditional dishes and cultural dances where we embrace and remember the hardship and those who have walked the path before us. It is the time of the year that also the old folks would say 'lakia mo gogo ko foki mai kite tulaga." Simply means that it is the time of the year where seagulls (many Tuvaluans) are returning to their nests (motherland).  

   Just like the birds return from the ocean to their nests after searching for raiment and ransom for their little ones, even so the Tuvaluans feel the important of returning to their motherland no matter how far and how long the journey for searching for raiment and ransom. They always believe that Tuvalu is home. It is a place where their hearts lay. Home it is place of refuge from the stormy journey in life. It is a place where everyone feels connected to their ancestors, Papaoatua and Papalagi. It is a place where you wants your head to be laid down every night.  

Now it is time to put down my pen and rest ... see you next week! 

Comments

Popular Posts